what we are all about...

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Pasta, Cobbler and Apples to Apples

I am lucky enough to have just enjoyed some of Nicole Chirolos' cookin'. Man, am I glad to know her! We used to have a cooking night together every wednesday.... but when schedules get busy things like that get crowded out. I hope we start those up again this month (with me about to get married i can use all the deep fried tips i can get). Since I am the type of cook to look more at the nutritional value, amount per ingredient and variety of food groups in a dish I sometimes forget to consider the most essential part of cooking- How homey does this taste? How memorable is this? Does this need MORE butter?
My personal answer is always no, or lets find something better for you to substitute for that. But ya know, sometimes it just isn't worth it. I would run 10 miles everyday to eat what Nicole made tonight. Speaking of running I am already planning on a niiiiice long one tomorrow after work because I ate my fair share AND walked away with a whole cobbler to bring home for Bent and I later! I will of course return the dish full, with cheesecake most likely, since that is my specialty and her and Mike (her future very lucky husband) fancy cheese cake. Never return a dish empty my mom always says!


Nicole is full of cooking tips from her mom, dad and grandparents. I am so thankful to learn from her and simply watch her in her element. My mom didn't do too much serious cooking. She is mostly a baker, hence my cheese cake specialty among other baked goods :) (which I am just as thankful for!) Tonight Nicole made a wonderful salad packed with veggies, topped with balsamic and oil. We had Pasta that her family has every christmas. It is home made up at this place in San Francisco, you can really tell! I have never had more deliciously soft tongue melting pasta.... And thats saying alot. To say I LIVE for italian food is an understatement. She topped it with a sauce her mother makes, and served it with french bread and fresh grated parmesan.


We played Apples to Apples while we waited for the nectarine/peach cobbler to cool. It was a lovely evening, I cant wait to share more of our cooking trials and triumphs.






Nicoles tip for the evening-
-you know raviolis are done when they float.
That may be simple common knowledge, but to me it was news! Just wanted to pass it along :o) 
XO



No comments: