what we are all about...

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Guts

So this young man walked up to me last night in the middle of this darling old fashioned soda pop/candy shop in downtown SLO I could spend hours in, and asked what my name was. He was so direct and determined I thought maybe he was someone I had taken a class with and he was trying to recall the course. Or somehow he knew me from somewhere and was trying to remember... But no, there was a brief pause after my name was spoken and he continued to ask me out on a date! (Bentley and Nicole were standing very, very close by mind you) His words were something along these lines...


"I just wanted to let you know you are really, very, 
incredibly gorgeous and I am... well... I would like to 
know if you want to go out some time. For dinner or 
something. I mean I am busy right now with friends, 
we're going out to eat.... but maybe another time?"


There was a little stuttering and a few glances out the soda shop door in his friends direction. You could tell it was genuine by how nervous he was. (Although I did briefly wonder) I was seriously taken back, totally not expecting those words to come out of his mouth. That was about as precise and to that point any stranger has ever been with me. It took a lot of guts, which I immediately applauded him for, and then I introduced the husband. I felt bad for the guy, really I did, he was so sweet and so brave. It is surprising how few guys are willing to do that in public to a perfect stranger. Unless something/someone else is influencing their judgement.... take that however you like.


One thing I learned from this brave young man is to always speak your mind and let others know exactly how you feel, when you feel it. You will more often than not make someone's day. Life is sweet but short, so tell the girl at the grocery store how much you like her shoes, or the co-worker how pretty their handwriting is... or ask him out on a date, no need to wait for him to figure out how to do it. Show him. 




 I don't know about you, but I regret left unsaid silence more than wondering. 

No comments: