what we are all about...

Sunday, September 16, 2012

My Journey to Preschool

I love my job- that is no surprise. I feel like I say that often :)
Ever since I went on my first mission trip in high school and worked with little kids in Mexico and Guatemala, I knew I would NEVER, EVER spend a single day of my life doing anything less.
My life felt intentional- 
I  found a reason, my reason 
(purpose seems too heavy a word here, for I believe I am here to be a mother)
Isn't that we are all searching for in some shape or form? 
Pretty deep thoughts for a 15 year old; but I have always been an old soul, or so I'm told.
My only question along the way has been by what means will I fulfill my goals, my dreams, and  provide the service I long to give children? In this ENTIRE world, what facet of upbringing a little soul should I focus my education on, build a solid foundation in, and work towards?
hmm.... I contemplated...

Music
youth (teens)
early childhood
Nutrition- specifically the alarming rate of type 2 diabetes in children under 12
foster youth
child abuse prevention
special ed mild, moderate, severe?


I mean seriously, who doesn't want their daily routine "job" to be something they truly, genuinely love?! I was determined to make a decision and stick with it. It only took me a few years, changing majors more than I care to tell, 3 colleges, and 2 pivotal jobs, to figure out what exactly I wanted to go to school for. Ironically, I landed a wonderful job in the school district before most of the schooling. 
Things don't always go according to plan, at least not my plans. 
Thank heavens for that :)

It is my current job that has made it ever so clear to me what I want to do, educationally. Not only will it benefit me in the work world, but also tremendously as a mother. Which as I mentioned before is priority number one! You see, I am a Para-educator, an aid for kids with special needs of all kinds, a behavioral analyst. 
We use a method called Applied Behavior Analysis primarily for students with autism, but it is used for a wide variety of students. Autism is what I have been working with most.

Behavior analysis focuses on the principles that explain how learning takes place. Positive reinforcement is one such principle. When a behavior is followed by some sort of reward, the behavior is more likely to be repeated. Through decades of research, the field of behavior analysis has developed many techniques for increasing useful behaviors and reducing those that may cause harm or interfere with learning.

Applied behavior analysis (ABA) is the use of these techniques and principles to bring about meaningful and positive change in behavior.


I have the pleasure of engaging with 3 - 4 year olds all day and positively reinforcing them for every good thing they do; and simply ignoring the undesired behaviors, or 'attention seeking' behaviors. Unless of course what they are doing is about to harm themselves or another. It is loads of fun, however some days are more... onerous than others. Ignoring a child hiding under a table whistling at you and yelling "yoo hoo look at me where did I go?" can only be done with grace for so long...  
My patience threshold has quadrupled, I will shamelessly admit my patience is admirable.
It is a trait I have always treasured, and now I know why I was given it.

The good lord knew I was going to need it!


I start my Bachelors and credential program on October 1st. I couldn't be more excited! No decision has been as effortless and easy as this one, well, except for when Bentley asked me to marry him.
I am so passionate about the importance of this age with all that is developing in our brains. I am predominately fascinated by Italian Philosophies on Early Childhood Ed. having gone to a Montessori preschool myself I have a little first hand experience :) 
I cant wait to keep learning about it and see where my adventures take me!

More to come on my journeys in Preschool and online credentialing!

2 comments:

M. Fritze said...

oh so happy for you! on such a great path. cannot wait to tell you about some of the books i've read this month. some i know ONLY you could appreciate!!

Bentley and Michelle said...

Thank you! I am so excited!! I would love to hear about those books, I am in need of some good books. And I am sure you are reading some very interesting ones :)