what we are all about...

Friday, May 18, 2012

Mothers day in the ER

Last weekend I decided to go home. It was mothers day after all, and my mom had just gotten her gallbladder removed, a minor surgery on Thursday the 10th. 
Naturally anyone under those circumstances would go home. 
But to be brutally honest, I didn't want to go up to the mountains... I know that sounds so bad, and I really did feel guilty about how selfish I felt it was to not want to go home (thats how critical I can be on myself). But I have been traveling the past few weekends, a little too much for my sanity. I really needed to slow down and let my mind catch up with the rest of me. I tend to burn the wick at both ends until I burn out. 
However, like I said the guilt among other things was building up so I prayed a bit about how I felt,  what I NEEDED to do, and where I needed to be.
The next night Nicole offered me a lift home since she was going for mothers day and wanted company on the drive. Her time frame was perfect for my work schedule, which is rare, I hadn't come to my own conclusion yet, I still felt unsettled... I knew it was right. 
Heavenly father knew the only way to get me home was to lay the path out for me on a silver platter and make it too easy for me. 
How could I not go home now?
I can not put in to words how grateful I am that I went home. You see, my mom ended up in the ER on saturday night and admitted to the hospital. She contracted a hospital born bacteria  from her surgery. Had I not been home the doctors and my family determined that my mom would not be in great shape. 
This bacteria is resistant to antibiotics, it attacks your potassium and magnesium levels, it COMPLETELY dehydrates you and can be fatal. 
Sounds like a blast right?
The rate at which it took over my moms system was so swift the doctors did not think it was possible, they had only read about it happening that fast before but never seen it. My mom was a first experience for them, and hopefully their last. 
It started off with her having  a seizure like spasm in our bathroom in my arms. An image I hope time will erase from my memory forever. She had just enough energy to call out for me before she went down.
 My family and I are so thankful we will never know what would have happened if I had not been there. My brother was not around, and my dad being a quadriplegic could not do anything from his bed, he didn't have a phone on him unfortunately. 

I have never underestimated the power of prayer. 

I have just never been at the epicenter of an experience like this. 
My testimony is constantly being strengthened and tested. 
We have been blessed with the most supportive, loving friends and caregivers for my dad. We were able to work out night shifts for the rest of the week with caregivers for my dad since I stayed in the hospital with her there for a few nights. I figured at this point, with the number of times I have been in and out of hospitals for dads health/recovery it would be easier.... but if anything this time it was scarier. Not knowing what mom had and watching her suffer, seizure, and hearing the genuine worry in the doctors voice was nauseating
I am so glad she didn't have to go through it alone!
When I pray answers don't always come right away, 
rarely actually do they materialize in "my time frame"
This used to annoy me, however after this I have decided that if answers do come instantly it might just be because timing is critical and your next step is crucial. 
I would prefer patience required answers!
I'd rather be granted seasoned patience over time rather than immediate solutions to a lifetime of emergencies. 


Long story short the Clark family is done with hospitals! 

No comments: