what we are all about...

Friday, September 28, 2012

Crossing Guard...

So I am temporarily one of the crossing guards for my elementary school, since the sweet older man that normally does this corner is having knee surgery. Anyone who knows my school district well, knows that temporarily could mean a couple weeks... or months...
Guess i will find out.
I knew this going in and still said yes.
The fact that Bentley and I live right across the street, and the guy is having surgery made me feel super obligated! Otherwise I wouldn't normally wake up to stand outside for an extra 45 minutes in a dense, rainy fog, wearing a neon yellow cal-trans vest holding a gigantic stop sign.
All I am missing is a hard hat!

Can you tell I was NOT too stoked when my principal asked me?!

But, I was a little too quick to judge what seemed to be a most unfavorable position. I have had some of the best mornings this week because of funny little happenings on my crosswalk.

  1. Countless mothers showing their appreciation for watching after their 'babies' cross the busy street.
  2. kissing my hubby on his way to work, after he crosses the street of course! I wonder what people driving by think!?
  3. The most darling toddler told me I am 'so pretty' :) 
  4. Another toddler asked her mom 'why is her hair SO BIG?' just as funny and noteworthy as the first comment in my book!
  5. A very happy golden retriever jumping up to say hello and kiss me on his way home...
  6. Seeing kids faces (that know me) light up at the fact that they know the crossing guard; turning back to smile, look, and wave about a million times before they are too far to see me anymore. I love that simple pleasure in children.
  7. And last but definitely not least, the old man stopped at the light, blowing me a kiss and saying "YOU are such a CUTIE!"

Yup, those sweet elderly men get me every time! 


Crossing guard has been nothing but smiles, friendly honks, curious kids, and lots of Pandora Music! :)


Have a great weekend 
xxxxooooxoxo
 

1 comment:

M. Fritze said...

that was so great! and of course you are the most beautiful crossing guard in the country!